Expats for Olympic Torchbearers
--Organized by Lenovo
Based on complete implementation of the five BOCOG Olympic torchbearer selection criteria, Lenovo Group along with China Daily will launch the ¡°Lenovo-sponsored Olympic torchbearer nominee selection among foreigners living in China,¡± in an effort to seek people who embody the Olympic spirit of constant exploration and striving for excellence and have made contributions to the building of a harmonious society.
Starting on September 7 and concluding at the end of October this year, this campaign will select eight foreign torchbearer nominees, providing foreigners living in China an opportunity to participate in the Beijing 2008 Olympics.
1. Qualification examination: Select qualified candidates according to related criteria;
2. Public process: All community members at home and abroad can vote through http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/olympics/torch_page.html . The number of votes that an applicant gets is subject to the numbers of IP addresses that cast votes of support (one IP address can only vote once). According to the number of votes the candidates receive, as well as their experience and other comprehensive elements, the selection committee will pick out 100 candidates who will proceed to the final round. Candidates are required to submit a copy of passports by mail or fax.
3. Judging process: The selection committee will determine the final eight Olympic torchbearer nominees.
Applicants must meet the five BOCOG torchbearer selection criteria (attached in the notes below); Promote the relationship between China and other parts of the world in their professional fields of economics and trade, politics, culture, sports, or science and technology; Love Chinese culture and history; Be devoted to communicate information of a real China to their native countries; uphold the Olympic spirit of constant exploration and pursuing excellence; and contribute to the building of a harmonious society.
1. Eligible applicants should be foreigners who have stayed in China for at least 12 months and are permitted to stay in China till the opening of the 2008 Olympics.
2. Eligible applicants should be 14 years of age or above (born before August 8, 1994). For applicants under 18, guardian¡¯s signed agreement is a must and the applicant must be capable of completing 400 m relay distance without difficulty and with no harm to his/her health.
3. Registration begins on September 7 and ends on September 30 (Application by post is subject to post mark).
4. The applicant should detach the application form published in China Daily, fill in the personal information and send it to No 15, Huixin Dongjie, Chaoyang District 100029, Beijing, with the envelope marked ¡°Lenovo Olympics torchbearer nominee selection,¡± or log on to the http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/olympics/torch_page.html , fill out the electronic form and submit it online.
5. Applicants should submit an informal photograph and an English essay around 500 words, titled ¡°China and I¡±. The essay should cover a true, touching part of ¡°my story in China¡± and a statement of the reason ¡°why I should be chosen as an Olympic torchbearer.¡±
1. BOCOG torchbearer selection criteria
The Beijing 2008 Olympic torchbearer selection criteria consist of the following:
* Uphold the Olympic spirit, and be dedicated to the Olympic Movement;
* Support the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games;
* Be distinguished for remarkable feats in their profession or community, or for a personal history that serves to inspire or motivate fellow citizens;
* Be generous and dedicated to community service;
* Be distinguished for contributions to the Olympic cause, or for extraordinary performance at past Olympic Games.
2. It is deemed that BOCOG and Lenovo Group are authorized to use the applicants¡¯ personal information received through the application process in a way that conforms with the law and for the purpose of this event without any financial liability.
3. Applicants under 18 must submit a hard-copy application form signed by their guardian to show the guardian¡¯s intent of agreement.
For more information, please contact Ms Wang
Mail address: No 15, Huixin Dongjie, Chaoyang District 100029, Beijing ( Please mark ¡°Lenovo Olympics torchbearer nominee selection¡± on the envelope )